The Embassy of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
An application for registration of a birth must be made within 03 months of the birth. If the application is made after 03 months, the reason for the delay should be given in writing when making the application. Only the Sri Lankan father or mother of the child can submit and application for registration of birth of a child.
Please submit the following documents to the Embassy in this regard:
Duly completed application Form (please complete in English)If the birth was less than 03 months ago ‘Form B4’ Declaration of Birth under Section 16 ORIf the birth was more than 03 months ago ‘Form B6’ Declaration of Birth under Section 24
a. Registration of birth        – JPY 5,000
b. Citizenship certificate     – JPY 4,000
c. Postage fee                      – JPY 1,600
Total                      – JPY 10,600
d. Surcharge for applications submitted after one year of birth of the child – JPY 1,500 per year.
You may submit the application to the Consular Division of the Embassy by post or by hand. The Consular Division is open from Monday to Friday (Acceptance and issuance of documents between 09:15 - 13:00 and 14:00 - 16:00). The address is as follows:
* This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post.
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence.
* Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.
* For application forms duly completed the Embassy will take 04 weeks to issue the birth certificate. Citizenship certificate is issued by the Department of Immigration and Emigration in Colombo and will take around 06 months.